Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Well...here goes life

When Wes first announced to me that we would become part of the military family (without really talking to me about it lol, its a funny story on its own). I of course was scared, i'd never been away from my family, we had a daughter who was 3 at the time, and i was 2 months pregnant. I knew that this life would bring its own challenges and i wasn't quit sure if i was strong enough to take them head on. Boot camp came during all the holidays so that was my first trail, we rocked boot camp. Wes went to MCT school, 2 days after he left, i gave birth to our son (with both my mother, his mother and his sister in the room lol a challenge on its own :) Soon after that he went to the school house, thankfully it was only 6hrs away from our home town. Every other weekend i would strap both kids in the car and make the long trip there and back to spend 1 full day with him and never a night because it was against the rules. We both quickly realized that we were in for a crazy ride. When Wes found out that he was getting stationed in Yuma, Az my first thought was....WHAT THE HELL...THE DESERT? I jumped on the computer and quickly started researching everything i could, i even got a "Welcome to Yuma" book with all sorts of information. I told Brilie where we were going, that we were going to be living in the desert, her first thought....are we going to live with the camels haha. We made the long long drive August 7th 2007. During the drive i found out that im terrified of driving in the moutains, and that saying goodbye to my mom and my family was the hardest thing i had ever done. Seeing big alligator tears in my daughters eyes still makes my heart sad. After 2 days of driving we finally arrived in Yuma. We were clueless on what time it was all of our clocks read different things, i remember pulling in to Loves and we went to ask what time it was the lady informed us that Arizona does NOT change time (what really?) and she also took it upon her self to tell us what streets to stay away from and how the streets and cross streets ran (she must of been able to tell that we were new). The first 6 months were rough! I didnt know a soul, my husband was working his tail off and hardly home, my poor daughter didnt have friends and on top of it..i had a 6 month old baby and all alone. We didn't get any of our house stuff for 10 days, so all of us slept on an air bed. I constantly felt alone. I ended up having to run to walmart about 930 at night to get more formula and wes was working while getting the things i needed a Hispanic guy approached me in the store, he opened his black coat full of jewelry and all kinds of other stuff and started spouting stuff at me in spanish, i dont think i have ever been so scared. I called my mom crying my eyes out because i wanted to come home :) Flash forward after finally settling in and meeting other wives and taking the links class i thought i could possible live this life style. I have fallen in love with this life and the community of the other military spouses.

No comments: