Sunday, January 8, 2012

#148

Saturday Jan. 7th was my very first 5k in over 10years!  I'd made the decision about a month ago that i was going to run my first 5k and that i needed to start training for one. I'd heard about the couch to 5k training but i didn't have enough time to do the entire training like it suggested. So i decided that id just train myself lol. Then life happened. The holiday breaks came, Connor got chicken pox, Brilie ended up getting the "flu" like symptoms from the chicken pox but never got them. So my training time was spend at home taking care of 2 sick kids. Finally the holiday break was over and brilie was heading back to school, then i had to deal with the CDC and getting Connors epi pen updated so he missed a couple of days of school then. So in all i had 3 full days to train for this 5k lol.  My first accomplishment...running 3.07 miles in 33:03 min. around the track and not stopping! The next day i decided i was going to take a light jog outside base to the 32nd/3e light and back to base when i got to the light i decided it was time to make the run i'd told myself id run for 4yrs, to the airport and back to base. Whew that accomplishment i think meant more to me than just running 3 miles!! When i crossed the crack in the road at the gate where i started i seriously almost cried, just because i was so proud of myself! It was 3.71 miles, and i ran it in 39.01 mins. I dont think i stopped smiling that day! Friday came and i went to the gym and ran a mile on the treadmill, geez i can never run more than a mile on the dang treadmill, i even tried covering the time up and everything....no luck, i think with the smell and just not being able to concentrate i figured id just walk home and wish for the best on Saturday. That night my stomach was in knots because i was so nervous [yes i acted the same way before all events in high school]  I went to bed early. Saturday morning came and i thought i seen a glimpse of sun outside my window, i jumped up and grabbed my phone to look at the time...5:00 a.m. [UGH] i tried to go back to sleep but that was not happening! My mom called later that morning and gave me my pep talk and told me that she'd be sitting on facebook cheering me on. I got ready and took Connor to my friends house and off i went. Nerves were sure working hard on me the whole drive, i kept telling myself to just turn around lol. I went and registered and got my number. #148, i met a few new people and met up with some other 371 ladies. The race started and the adrenalin kicked in.  I instantly got tons of cheers off of my nike app that was sync'ed to my facebook [i knew it was my mom :) ] During the race i had tons of friends and even my hubby cheering me on, there were times when i'd realize my pace had slowed and i'd get a cheer over my music and i'd pick it back up. Who ever thought that would help me? Before i knew it i was sprinting across the finish line! I have no idea what place i came in, in my age group but i dont really care, all i cared about was that i made a new best time for myself i ran 3.27 miles in 30.56 mins. I was extremely happy!!! When i crossed i felt my iphone go off and i looked at it and it was a message from Wesley telling me how proud he was of me [yup i kind of started crying on the sidelines lol] What an amazing morning that was and i can't wait to do it again!!!! I really think everyone should find a goal and accomplish it, i plan to frame my tag with my number on it because i accomplished something for myself, by myself, man what a feeling. When i got home and told the kids they were SO happy for me, i was givin hugs and kisses. Connor also told me that since i didn't get a trophy that i could have his soccer trophy because he thought i deserved one :) I love that kid.

1 comment:

Sabra said...

Nice! Very inspiring.